Disputing Authorities: Re-writing the Caribbean, 1600-c.1720

An open discussion about its scope, structure and ideas.





Thursday 18 February 2010

Patriarchy

Assuming that the thematic chapter-headings work, I thought I'd start by trying to put together that on 'Patriarchy'.
The idea came to me whilst I was working on the assumption that there would be a chapter on 'governors', and I was wondering about the patriarchal differences between Francis Lord Willoughby of Parham (who seems to have had a working copy of Filmer's Patriarcha in his head) and Daniel Parke, whose patriarchy was underpinned by more than a hint of sexuality.
I'm wondering if the idea would work across, between and within the three ethnic groups - African, American, European - and whether it would work as a means to distinguish paternalism (towards slaves, for example) and whatever one might call the more brutal end of the slavery spectrum (chattelism? does that allow for violence to be reserved for a chapter all to itself?).

No comments:

Post a Comment